Our Claims Payment Record
We're in The Business of Paying Claims
In 2016 we paid over £606 million in claim payments to 12,000 of our customers.
That’s £64 million more than we paid out in 2015.
In fact we’ve paid out £2.6 billion in protection claims over the past five years to over 58,000 of our customers during a difficult time in their lives.
In 2016 We Paid
- 98.6% of life claims paid out - £316.5 million
- 92.56% of critical illness claims - £181 million
- 94.2% of children’s critical illness claims - £1.8 million
- 95.9% of terminal illness claims - £107 million
- 94.4% of income protection claims - £1.2 million
Handled With Care
We’re proud of our claims payment record. During difficult times we’ve been able to help offer our customers some financial security. Not only that, with an average claims customer ease score rated 96% in 2016, our specialist claims handlers treat each individual customer with care and compassion, supporting them every step through the claims process.
Useful Tips to Avoid Misrepresentation
Here are some useful tips to help you and your clients prevent misrepresentation and help to ensure future claims are paid. Click here to download Working Together to Avoid Misrepresentation (Q43463) pdf (1.17MB).
Quicks Stats (PDF)
In 2015 we paid £542 million in claim payments to 10,964 of our customers.
That’s £22 million more than we paid out in 2014 and an average of £1.5 million paid out to our customers every single day.
In fact we’ve paid out £2.5 billion in protection claims over the past 5 years to over 46,000 of our customers during a difficult time in their lives.
IN 2015 WE PAID:
- 97.9% of life claims paid out - £277 million
- 91.5% of critical illness claims - £167 million
- 96.4% of children’s critical illness claims - £1.9 million
- 95.1% of terminal illness claims - £94 million
- 95% of income protection claims - £1.3 million
Life claims paid - 5,760 claims totalling £271 million
Claims declined (overall) - 1.7%
Breakdown of Life claims finalised:
Term Assurance policies - 96.7% paid / 3.3% declined
Whole of Life policies - 99.9% paid / 0.1% declined
Endowment / Unit Linked polices - 100%
CRITICAL ILLNESS COVER
- Critical illness claims paid - 2,575 claims totalling £161 million
- Claims declined (overall) - 7.8% claims declined
- Claims declined (for misrepresentation) - 2.3%
- Claims declined (for not meeting policy definition) - 5.5%
Terminal illness claims paid - 888 claims totalling £86 million
Claims declined (overall) - 3.1%
INCOME PROTECTION BENEFIT PLAN
Income protection claims paid - 413 claims totalling £1.46 million
Claims declined (overall) - 6.1%
Source: Legal & General Claims Department 2015, based on critical illness, terminal illness and life claims finalised in 2014.