Our Extra and Essentials Contents insurance can help to cover your household goods and personal belongings within the home. We provide cover against loss or damage from causes such as fire, storm, flood and theft. We offer a range of optional extras that you can add to your policy for an additional premium, so that you can feel confident that your policy meets your needs.
Take a virtual tour of your home with our Contents Calculator to help you work out how much cover you need.
*Winners 5 years running of the Best online Home insurance provider as voted by Your Money readers.
Overview of contents cover
|Sum insured||Will be estimated, but can be increased|
|Minimum compulsory excess||£150||£100|
|High risk items||Up to 20% of your contents sum insured||Up to 33% of your contents sum insured (a minimum of £14,000)|
|High risk single items||Up to 5% of your contents sum insured (a minimum of £2,000)||Up to 5% of your contents sum insured (a minimum of £2,000)|
|Contents in garden||-||✓ Up to £1,000|
|Personal money||✓ Up to £100||✓ Up to £500|
|Theft from outbuildings||✓ Up to £1,000||✓ Up to 10% of contents sum insured (a minimum of £5,000)|
|Accidental damage for contents||Additional cover option||✓|
|Extended accidental damage for contents||Additional cover option|
What isn't covered by our contents insurance
- The first £150 for Essentials cover or the first £100 for Extra cover of compulsory excess on each claim (or for escape of water claims, the first £250) plus any voluntary excess if you choose it.
- Money stolen from your home unless it was entered by force and violence.
- Pedal cycles stolen from home, unless it was entered by force and violence (covered by Extra policies only).
- Accidental damage to portable items like video cameras and hand held computer games, unless you've taken out optional contents extended accidental damage or personal possessions cover for Extra, or unless you've taken out optional personal possessions cover for Essentials.
- If your home has been unoccupied for more than 60 consecutive days for Extra or 30 consecutive days for Essentials, we won't cover loss or damage caused by malicious acts, vandalism, theft, water or oil leaks, breakage of glass or sanitaryware (In this case there is no cover from the first day the home is not lived in).
- The cost of replacing any undamaged or unbroken item or parts of items forming part of a set, suite or other article of uniform nature, colour or design if damage occurs within a clearly identifiable area or to a specific part and it is not possible to match replacements for both Essentials and Extra cover.
These are only examples of the cover, limits and exclusions that apply. For more details of what is and isn't covered, please read the policy summaries and booklets, which can be found in the Key Documents section, on the right hand side of the page.