Claims process.

We understand how distressing loss or damage to your home can be and we're here to make your claims experience as quick and hassle-free as possible with our step-by-step claims process. More information can also be found in our  Help with making a claim.  PDF: 590KB

Step 1: Report to the Police (if applicable)

Report the following to the police as soon as possible and get a crime reference number or loss report number:

  • Theft, attempted theft or loss of property.
  • Any loss or damage caused by malicious acts, vandalism, riot, civil commotion, strikes or labour disturbances.

Step 2: Check whether you're covered

Before you make a claim check your policy schedule and policy booklet to ensure you have the correct level of cover. Pay particular attention to:

  • Any endorsements and excesses that apply.
  • Details of what we will and won't cover.
  • 'Claims settlement' at the end of each section - this tells you about any conditions that may affect the amount of any claim settlement.
  • All general exceptions and conditions.

Step 3: Gather your information

To help us process your claim quickly, please have the following information to hand:

  • Your policy number.
  • The date and time of the loss or damage.
  • The police loss report number or crime reference number (if applicable).

Step 4: Make a claim

To make a claim, please call us on one of the following numbers. All lines are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Call charges will vary. Calls may be recorded or monitored.

Home insurance: 0370 900 5565
(For making general home insurance claims)

Home emergency cover: 0845 155 6403
(For our home emergency service provided by Homeserve)

Family legal protection: 0370 050 0962
(For making family legal protection claims)

Legal helpline: 0370 050 0962
(For obtaining legal advice)

Domestic emergency helpline: 0800 408 9103
(For advice in the case of a home emergency and you don't already have home emergency cover)

Step 5: What happens next?

  • If your claim is accepted, we'll agree actions on the initial call and keep in touch by phone to let you know what's happening.
  • We may appoint a specialist to visit you, in which case we'll let you know.
  • Complicated claims, such as those for subsidence, may take longer than others to complete. If that's the case we'll give you the name of a personal contact that'll keep you informed about progress.

Please read our Help with making a claim.  PDF: 590KB for more detailed information on our claims process, plus hints and tips on how to protect your home.

Image of a lady on phone
Making a claim
For more information and hints & tips on how to protect your home view our Help with making a claim.  PDF: 590KB .

Your recently viewed items...

You need javascript enabled for us to remember your Recently Viewed Items.

You might also be interested in...

Home Insurance

You can choose from two levels of buildings and contents cover to suit your needs, either Extra or Essentials.

Landlord insurance

Our landlord insurance includes loss of rent; or alternative accommodation cover for the tenant up to £40,000.

Insurance news articles

Keep up-to-date with the latest insurance news.

Read our insurance news articles which cover a range of insurance-related subjects.