Buildings cover

Our buildings cover gives your customer peace of mind against loss or damage caused by risks such as fire, theft, escape of water, subsidence and flood. 

What's covered?

The table below shows a number of features which are covered under our buildings insurance.


Buildings Cover.
What's Included Cover / Limits Selling Point
Rebuilding cost cover
  • Standard option - as long as your customer's home has no more than five bedrooms and meets certain criteria (please refer to the Insurance Product Information Document for full details of the criteria).
Up to £800,000  Our rebuilding cost limit will be more than adequate for most standard properties. It must be sufficient to cover the cost of rebuilding the property.

Rebuilding cost cover

  • Select option - is available if your customer's home has six bedrooms or more.
Up to £800,000
Loss or damage caused by perils such as fire, smoke, explosion, lightning, earthquake, storm, flood, theft or attempted theft, escape of water, leakage of oil, falling trees and malicious acts or vandalism.  
Loss or damage caused by subsidence, heave or landslip.  
Cost of alternative accommodation should your customer's home become uninhabitable due to an insured event. Up to £50,000 Ask your customer what would happen if their home was flooded and became uninhabitable? Could they afford to pay for somewhere else to live?
Accidental damage to underground pipes and cables serving your customer's home  
Trace and access cover - covers the cost of tracing water or oil leaks and repairing damage caused by the investigations. Up to £5,000  What would happen if your customer had a leak but didn't know where it was coming from? We would cover the cost of damage caused when trying to find the leak. 
Replacement locks and keys for external doors if your customer's keys are lost or stolen. Up to £750  Ask your customer what would happen if their handbag was lost or stolen with their keys in and perhaps details of their address? They can install new locks to external doors up to £750 without worrying about the expense.
24 hour domestic emergency helpline. If your customer had a blocked drain or burst pipe, we will locate a tradesman and advise costs. 
24 hour legal helpline. Your customer can call our legal helpline for expert advice about all kinds of domestic legal problems.
Home Emergency cover - for call out charges and parts for certain emergency repairs. Up to £500 A home emergency such as a burst pipe or break in can be a stressful experience. Knowing that they are covered for up to £500 should they have to call out a tradesman can provide your customers with some peace of mind.

What isn't covered?

  • The first £100 of each claim (or for escape of water claims the first £250, and in the case of subsidence, heave and landslip £1,000).
  • Loss or damage caused by underground water.
  • Storm or flood damage to fences, gates, hedges.
  • Loss or damage caused by malicious acts or vandalism, theft or attempted theft, escape of water, leakage of oil, breakage of glass or sanitaryware or frost damage if your home will be unoccupied for more than 60 consecutive days.

These are only a few of the limitations and exclusions that apply. For full details of what is and isn't covered, please refer to the PDF file: Home Insurance Choices - Insurance Product Information Document (QGI13984) PDF size: 115KB  and  PDF file: Home Insurance Choices - Policy Booklet (QGI6389) PDF size: 339KB .