Contents cover

Our contents cover can be tailored to provide the level of cover you and your customers would expect.

Remember to remind your customers that they need to insure their contents for what it would cost to replace them with new items, not their second-hand value.

What's covered?

The table below shows a number of features we cover under our contents insurance.

Contents cover features
What's Included? Cover / Limit Selling Point
A low contents sum insured option of £15,000. £15,000 Great for tenants and first time buyers who often have a lower value of contents to insure.
Standard option - a further six levels of cover for your customer to choose from as long as you customer's home has no more than five bedrooms. 







Gives your customer flexibility and choice and means they don't have to pay for cover they may not need.
Select option - is available if your customer's home has six bedrooms or more. Up to the limit of £100,000
Loss or damage caused by perils such as fire, smoke, explosion, lightning, earthquake, storm, flood, theft or attempted theft, falling trees and malicious acts or vandalism.
Loss or damage caused by escape of water or leakage of oil. Ask your customer what would happen if their washing machine leaked and damaged their carpets? Would they be able to replace them?

Accidental damage to computers, televisions, stereos, business equipment.

We also include cover for accidental breakage of mirrors and fixed glass in furniture.

High risk property such as jewellery, works of art, stamp and coin collections, clocks and watches. In total up to 33% of contents sum insured, and up to 5% of contents sum insured (minimum £2,000) for a single item, pair or set.  
Cost of alternative accommodation should your customer need to temporarily move out of their home due to an insured event. Up to 25% of the contents sum insured (minimum £10,000) Ask your customer what would happen if their home was flooded and became uninhabitable. Could they afford to pay for somewhere else to live?
Replacement locks and keys for external doors if your customer's keys are lost or stolen. Up to £750

Ask your customer what would happen if their handbag was lost or stolen with their keys in and perhaps details of their address?

They can install new locks to external doors up to £750 without worrying about the expense.

Personal money in the home. Up to £500  
Freezer contents. Up to £1,000  
Plants in the garden (in pots and containers). Up to £1,500  
Contents temporarily removed from the home.

Cover for contents temporarily removed other than while attending full time education is restricted to 90 consecutive days.

For contents temporarily removed while attending full time education, the 90-day limit does not apply.

Limited to 15% of the contents sum insured (minimum £7,000). There is a limit of £1,000 for a single article, pair or set.

Do your customers have children that are in full time education living away from the home? If so, they can cover their belongings under their own household insurance provided it's the intention for the items to be returned to the home. 
Special events cover - a temporary increase in contents sum insured during the period of one month before and one month after a special event such as Christmas or a wedding. Up to 10% extra contents sum insured. If your customer has done their Christmas shopping, it's likely there will be lots of presents in the home. What would happen if your customer suffered a burglary but their contents cover wasn't enough to cover all the presents?

What isn't covered?

  • The first £100 of each claim (or in the event of escape of water, the first £250)
  • Loss or damage caused by malicious acts or vandalism, theft or attempted theft, escape of water, leakage of oil, and loss of oil or water, if your customer’s home will be unoccupied for more than 60 consecutive days.
  • Loss or damage caused by underground water.
  • Accidental damage to items designed and intended to be portable (such as laptops, tablets and mobile phones), or to hand held computer equipment and games consoles. If cover is required for these items, your customer can choose optional extended accidental damage or personal possessions cover.

These are only a few of the limitations and exclusions that apply. For details of what is and isn’t covered, please refer to the PDF file: Home Insurance Choices - Insurance Product Information Document (QGI13984) PDF size: 115KB  and PDF file: Home Insurance Choices - Policy Booklet (QGI6389) PDF size: 339KB .