Contents cover

Our contents cover can be tailored to provide the level of cover you and your customers would expect.

Remember to remind your customers that they need to insure their contents for what it would cost to replace them with new items, not their second-hand value.

What's covered?

The table below shows a number of features we cover under our contents insurance.


Contents Cover Features
What's included Cover / Limit Selling Point
A choice of £80,000 or £150,000 sum insured. £80,000 or £150,000 Gives your customer flexibility and choice.
Loss or damage caused by perils such as fire, smoke, explosion, lightning, earthquake, storm, flood, theft or attempted theft, falling trees and malicious acts or vandalism.    
Loss or damage caused by escape of water or leakage of oil.   Ask your customer what would happen if their washing machine leaked and damaged their carpets? Would they be able to replace them?

Accidental damage to computers, televisions, stereos, business equipment.

We also include cover for accidental breakage of mirrors and fixed glass in furniture.    
High risk property such as jewellery, gems, precious metals and watches. £30,000 in total and £10,000 for each single item, pair or set.  
Cost of alternative accommodation should your customer need to temporarily move out of their home due to an insured event. £30,000 Ask your customer what would happen if their home was flooded and became uninhabitable. Could they afford to pay for somewhere else to live?
Replacement locks and keys for external doors if your customer's keys are lost or stolen. Up to contents sum insured.  

Ask your customer what would happen if their handbag was lost or stolen with their keys in and perhaps details of their address?

Personal money in the home. Up to £500  
Freezer contents. Up to contents sum insured.  
Contents in the garden. £5,000  
Contents temporarily removed from the home whilst attending full time education.  

£5,000 in total and £1,000 for each single item, pair or set.

Do your customers have children that are in full time education living away from the home? If so, they can cover their belongings for certain events under their own household insurance provided it's the intention for the items to be returned to the home.
Bicycles in the home. Up to contents sum insured.  

What isn't covered?

  • Your customer's policy excess.
  • Loss or damage caused by malicious acts or vandalism, theft or attempted theft, escape of water, leakage of oil, and loss of oil or water, if your customer’s home will be unoccupied for more than 60 consecutive days.
  • Loss or damage caused by underground water.
  • Damage caused by chewing, scratching, tearing or fouling by domestic pets.
  • Personal money and bicycles unless force and violence is used to gain entry to the home.

These are only a few of the limitations and exclusions that apply. For details of what is and isn’t covered, please refer to the PDF file: Home Insurance (SmartQuote) - Policy Booklet (QGI15002) PDF size: 258KB , PDF file: Home Insurance (SmartQuote) - Limit Comparison Table (QGI15031) PDF size: 67KB  and PDF file: Home Insurance Plus (SmartQuote) - Insurance Product Information Document (QGI15001) PDF size: 131KB