Our buildings cover gives your customer peace of mind against loss or damage caused by risks such as fire, theft, subsidence and flood.

What is covered?

The table below shows a number of features which are covered as standard under our Landlords buildings insurance.

What's included? Cover/Limit Selling point
Rebuilding cost cover
  • Standard option - as long as your customer's let property has no more than five bedrooms and meets certain criteria (please refer to the Landlords Insurance 'Insurance Product Information Document').
Up to £800,000 

Our rebuilding cost limit should be more than adequate for most properties. It must be sufficient to cover the cost of rebuilding the property. 

  • Select option - is available if the property has six bedrooms or more.
Up to £800,000
Loss or damage caused by perils such as fire, smoke, explosion, lighting, earthquake, storm, flood, theft or attempted theft, escape of water, leakage of oil, falling trees and malicious acts or vandalism(Excluding damage caused by tenants).  
Loss or damage caused by subsidence, heave or landslip.  
Your customer's legal liability as owner of the property for injury to others or damage to their property. Up to a maximum of £2 million for any one claim  
Loss of rent or alternative accommodation for the tenant should the property become uninhabitable due to an insured event. Up to £40,000  If your customer's let property was damaged due to a flood or fire and was uninhabitable, could they afford to continue to pay the mortgage without the rent coming in?  
Trace and access cover - covers the cost of tracing water or oil leaks and repairing damage caused by the investigations. Up to £5,000  What would happen if your customer had a leak but didn't know where it was coming from? We would cover the cost of damage caused when trying to find the leak. 
Accidental damage to underground pipes and cables serving your customer's home.  
24 hour legal helpline. Your customer can call our legal helpline for expert advice about all kinds of domestic legal problems. 
Home emergency cover - for call out charges and parts for certain emergency repairs. Up to £500  A home emergency such as a burst pipe or break in can be a stressful experience, knowing that they will be covered for up to £500 should they have to call out a tradesman. This can provide your customers with some peace of mind. 

What isn't covered?

  • The first £100 of each claim, or in the event of escape of water or accidental damage or malicious damage by tenant (if chosen) the first £250, or in the case of subsidence, heave or landslip the first £1,000).
  • Storm or flood damage to fences, gates, hedges, cantilever car-ports, canopies and awnings, and to any felt roof where the felt is more than 10 years old.
  • Theft or attempted theft by tenants.
  • Loss or damage resulting directly from the home being used for illegal purposes.
  • Routine day to day maintenance.
  • Loss or damage caused by underground water.
  • Loss or damage caused by escape of water if the property is unoccupied for more than 40 consecutive days.

These are only a few of the limitations and exclusions that apply. For full details of what is and isn't covered, as well as our acceptance criteria, refer to the PDF file: Landlords Insurance - Insurance Product Information Document (QGI13959) PDF size: 132KB  and PDF file: Landlords Insurance - Policy Booklet (QGI6409) PDF size: 404KB .