Family and Personal Income Plan with Critical Illness Cover or Critical Illness Extra
Pays out a monthly benefit with an option to commute to a lump sum in the event of death, earlier diagnosis of a terminal illness (if life expectancy is less than 12 months) or meeting the definition of one of the specified critical illnesses within the term of the plan.
The contract offers guaranteed or reviewable premiums.
All business is sold as family protection where a commuted lump sum is required to provide financial support to spouse, partner, registered civil partner or dependant in the event of death, terminal illness or critical illness. A commuted lump sum can be chosen at claim stage.
Suitable if customers
- Require a monthly benefit in the event of death or terminal illness (if life expectancy is less than 12 months).
- Need a decreasing sum to help protect a family the event of death, terminal illness or critical illness and have dependants, and are not willing to self-insure or do not have funds elsewhere.
- Have medical conditions that do not prevent provisions of cover and are happy to be underwritten.
- Are UK resident and can afford monthly premiums for the chosen policy.
Unsuitable if customers
- Do not require a monthly benefit.
- Need a decreasing sum to cover a mortgage in the event of death, terminal illness or critical illness and have dependants, and are willing to self-insure or have funds elsewhere.
- Want a product to pay a benefit if they are unable to work for a period of time due to accident or injury (IPB).
- Have health conditions that may result in cover not being issued.
- Require a non-underwritten journey.
- Are unable to afford monthly premiums for the chosen policy and are not UK resident.
Amount of Cover
- No minimum monthly. Driven by minimum premium.
- Maximum monthly benefit is £4,000 per month.
- The amount of cover remains the same throughout the policy term.
- The minimum term allowed is 5 years.
- The maximum term allowed is 40 years.
- The minimum age to take out a policy is 18. It is possible for a life of another policy to be taken out on a 17 year old by an adult with insurable interest. This policy can then placed in an Absolute trust with the 17 year old as the beneficiary.
- The minimum age at the end of the policy is 29.
- The maximum age for buying a policy is 64.
- The policy must end by their 70th birthday.
- Guaranteed or Reviewable.
- Payable monthly or annually by Direct Debit.
Benefits automatically included
- For joint life policies, benefit is paid on the first critical illness claim or death, whichever occurs first.
- Policies can be put into trust.