Current, future and past residency and travel are important risk factors, which may influence our acceptance terms. Additionally, we need to consider current legislative requirements.

Key Points

Residence or travel outside the UK can involve increased risk; ie war zones, politically unstable areas, Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) infection and other health related risks.

Tax rules and legislation restrict who we can offer cover to outside the UK; eg HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) and European Union's Third Life Directive.

For your clients who have arrived in the UK or travelled for a long period outside the UK within the last 5 years we may require medical evidence to assess their application - this depends upon the duration of stay, time since arrival in UK and countries involved.

Our Definition of UK Resident

Someone who is currently living in the UK and has spent at least 183 days in the UK in the last tax year.

Generally, we will consider customers who are:

  • Permanently resident in the UK.
  • Temporarily travelling within the European Union (EU), United States of America (USA), Canada, Australia and New Zealand.
  • Temporarily travelling to countries not listed above on an individual consideration basis.
  • Planning a permanent move abroad, whilst they remain in the UK.
  • Crown Employees or in the Merchant Navy.

We will consider cover for applicants who will definitely be moving abroad, as long as the move is not within 3 months of application.

For any specific queries please contact MUTAL on 0370 333 3699 or go to MUTAL page.