Family history is taken into account for all types of cover, and is particularly relevant to Critical Illness Cover (CIC)
- Number of relatives affected
- Relationship of the relative to the client
- Relatives age at occurrence
- Current age and sex of the client and relatives
These are conditions that occur in some families and may affect our underwriting decisions.
- Ischaemic Heart Disease eg Heart Attack, Angina, Coronary Artery Disease
- Cancer eg Breast, Colorectal, Ovarian
- Polycystic Kidney disease (PKD)
- Familial Adenomatous Polyposis (FAP)
- Huntington's Disease
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- Hypertrophic Obstructive Cardiomyopathy (HOCM)
- Parkinson's Disease
- Alzheimer's Disease
- Muscular Dystrophy
- Motor Neurone Disease (MND)
- Family History is taken into account for all types of cover assessed and is particularly relevant for Critical Illness Cover (CIC).
- We only require the Family History of relatives if they have had the condition before the age of 60.
- One Family history of Cancer (apart from Breast Cancer for females) will be accepted at Standard Terms for Life and Critical Illness.
- We only want to know about the Family History of Type 2 diabetes and not type 1.
- We only consider Family History in first degree full blood relatives (mother, father, brother or sister).
- We do not require Family History in second degree relatives (grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces and nephews) as well as Family History in family members who have no genetic relationship to the customer (adoptive or step-parents and adoptive or step-siblings) and children.
- If a customer doesn't know their Family History, we will accept that disclosure on the application.