Set up a policy
Four easy steps to set up a policy:
1. Get a quote
We'll give you a quote based on the chosen benefit levels, workforce and business. Our quote and PDF file: Group life assurance and dependants' pension technical guide PDF size: 541KB will help clearly explain how the policy works, the cost of the cover and any terms that will apply.
Find out how to get a quote for your client.
2. Choose a scheme type
Your client will need to use a scheme, usually set up under trust, to get group life assurance tax advantages.
Types of schemes
- Excepted group life policy
Find out more about the types of schemes under Choose a scheme.
We can link our policy to:
- a scheme that your client already has in place,
- a new scheme set up using;
- your client's own documents, or
- our specimen documents,
- our Group Life Mastertrust.
We'll need a few details about the chosen scheme, including:
- the original PDF file: Mastertrust deed of participation PDF size: 376KB before cover starts if your client is joining our Group Life Mastertrust
- the Pension Scheme Tax Reference if your client is using their own registered scheme
- a copy of your client's scheme trust and rules if they're setting up an excepted group life policy
3. Check for medical underwriting
We can usually cover most employees without needing personal health details. However, there are times when we need to ask employees about their health and hobbies to help us decide if we can cover them.
If your client is switching the insurance of an existing scheme to us, we can usually cover their employees that their previous insurer had already underwritten but not necessarily at the same cost.
Our quote and PDF file: Group life assurance and dependants' pension technical guide PDF size: 541KB help explain when we medically underwrite employees, the forms needed and our terms for switching the insurance of previously medically underwritten employees.
4. Setting up the policy
Carefully check through the quote before setting up a policy. Contact us if you need to make changes, or have any questions.
If you used our Online Quote and Buy service for a quote, you can quickly set up a policy using the same system. You'll have instant access to the policy document, first account and other important documents as soon cover starts.
For all other quotes we can agree to start cover by email, we'll need to receive the following items within 14 days after the policy starts:
- A completed proposal form
- A direct debit mandate for monthly premiums, or a deposit for annual premiums.
- Up-to-date employee details
- If you're setting up an excepted group life policy, a copy of the scheme trust and rules
We'll then send:
- A policy document
- A final account
You need to know
We'll continue to provide cover and pay any valid claims as long as premiums are paid and the policy terms are met.
Policy terms will be unique to each business and there are some circumstances where we won't provide cover.
We'll give you the terms and any exclusions with our quote and you should read this together with our PDF file: Group life assurance and dependants' pension technical guide PDF size: 541KB .