Setting up a policy
You'll need to decide the eligibility conditions including who can join and when, plus the level of cover you want to provide.
Minimum number of members
We normally need a minimum number of 50 employees to first set up the policy. However, if you want group income protection and have between 10 and 250 employees you may be able to get a quote through our Online Quote and Buy system.
Who can be covered
Any employees that satisfy the eligibility conditions set out by you and agreed by us.
Maximum individual benefit
- An employee's cover must not exceed £350,000 a year.
- In addition, pension contributions totalling £75,000 a year, can be covered.
- The total of an employee's cover and their own pension contributions must not exceed 80% of their earnings.
Once you've accepted our quote and all the information we ask for in the quote has been provided, starting cover is very straightforward.
- Make sure there are no outstanding requirements from our quote before cancelling existing arrangements with the current insurer.
- Confirm any assumptions we've made in our quote.
- Let us know the date you'd like cover to start from (cover cannot be backdated).
- You may want to talk to an independent financial adviser to discuss your needs, so you can make sure the correct choices are made.
We'll send you confirmation, this will include your policy number, our medical underwriting requirements and a copy of the quote and invoice.
You'll need to send us a completed proposal form within 14 days. We'll then provide you with a policy document and a final account.
We don't normally need to know about salary increases during the year, unless the increase takes the cover over the free limit. Our rate guarantee is normally for two years, and depending on the accounting basis chosen, any changes in cover will be swept up at the next renewal date along with new entrants and leavers.
For an explanation of the terms we've used, please refer to our PDF file: Group income protection technical guide PDF size: 835KB .