Set up your policy
Four easy steps to set up your policy
1. Get a quote
We'll give you a quote based on your chosen benefit levels, workforce and business. Our quote and PDF file: Group life assurance and dependants' pension technical guide PDF size: 695KB
2. Choose your own scheme type
You'll need to use a scheme, usually set up under trust, to get group life assurance tax advantages.
- Excepted group life policy
- Mixture of both registered and excepted group life policy
Find out more about the types of schemes under Choose your scheme.
We can link our policy to:
- a scheme that you already have in place,
- a new scheme you're setting up using;
We'll need a few details about your chosen scheme, including:
- If you’ve chosen registered cover paid through our Mastertrust; a completed Group Life Mastertrust application before cover starts
- If you’ve chosen excepted group life policy cover paid through our Mastertrust; a completed Relevant Life Mastertrust application before cover starts
- If you’re using your own scheme; its scheme name, details of the trustees, and if it’s registered, its Pension Scheme Tax Reference.
3. Check for medical underwriting
We can usually cover most employees without needing personal health details. However, there are times when we need to ask employees about their health and hobbies to help us decide if we can cover them.
If you're switching the insurance of an existing scheme to us, we can usually cover the employees that your previous insurer had already underwritten but not necessarily at the same cost.
Our quote and PDF file: Group life assurance and dependants' pension technical guide PDF size: 695KB help explain when we medically underwrite employees, the forms needed and our terms for switching the insurance of previously medically underwritten employees.
4. Setting up the policy
Carefully check through your quote before setting up your policy. Contact us if you need to make changes, or have any questions.
If you used our Online Quote and Buy service for a quote, you can quickly set up your policy using the same system. You'll have instant access to your policy document, your first account and other important documents as soon as you start cover.
For all other quotes we can agree to start cover by email, we'll need to receive the following items within 14 days after the policy starts:
- A completed proposal form
- A direct debit mandate for monthly premiums, or a deposit for annual premiums.
- Up-to-date employee details
- If you're setting up an excepted group life policy, a copy of your scheme trust and rules
We'll then provide you with:
- A policy document.
- A final account
We'll continue to provide cover and pay any valid claims as long as premiums are paid and the policy terms are met.
Policy terms will be unique to each business and there are some circumstances where we won't provide cover.
We'll give you the terms and any exclusions with our quote and you should read this together with our PDF file: Group life assurance and dependants' pension technical guide PDF size: 695KB .