Frequently asked questions

When are valuations needed and what information is required?

Sum insured Jewellery Electrical goods Painting /works of art
£10,000 or less A full description of the item is required
More than £10,000

Purchase receipt or valuation from a valuer,who is a member of the Institute of Registered Valuers

Proof of value Purchase receipt or recommended valuation from a leading auction house

What cover is provided for children whilst away at university?

The policy offers contents temporarily removed from your home whilst attending full time education up to £5,000 in total or £1,000 for a single article, pair or set.

What are the minimum standards of security you require for Rainbow?

In some circumstances, we won't cover theft of contents unless the property meets our minimum standards of security.

This means all easy to reach window locks or openings will need to be fitted with key operated locks, in addition all final exit doors need to be fitted with a lock certified to British Standard BS3621 or a multi-point locking system that has a minimum of three locking points. 

Please refer to our Rainbow Policy Booklet for further information on the endorsement wording.

I’m new to you, how do I get the Rainbow household products on my system allowing me to quote?

We'll arrange the set up of EDI for you when we are setting up your agency with us.  We will contact the relevant software house and then confirm the product codes and policy number ranges back to you.

Where do we order additional customer literature, ie policy booklets?

You can order and view additional literature by using our online ordering system.

Does the policy provide buildings cover for a property, which is lived in by family members and not the policyholder?

Providing the family members are permanently residing at the property and there is no tenancy agreement in place then we will provide cover for the buildings in the owners name. The family members should arrange contents cover in their own name.

Please note:

  • If there's a tenancy agreement in place you will require Landlords Insurance.
  • We can accept policies when only family members occupy the property.  If family and friends occupy the property then this is unacceptable.
  • The Declaration questions relate to both the policyholder and anyone residing at the risk.

Would you accept a property which is part owned/ part housing association?

Where a property has been purchased through a housing association the buildings may already be arranged via the housing association as part of the rental agreement. However if this is not included then it may be up to the customer to insure the property & note the housing association as interested party. The customer will be classed as an owner/occupier.

How do I process a change of address if the customer has exchanged but not completed?

The Rainbow (RBF) policy allows cover between exchange & completion up to 90 days.

If you are placing a new risk with ourselves the inception date of the policy should be effective from the date of completion. We will give cover between exchange and completion for up to 90 days.

On a change in address the change should be processed from the completion date and cover will be given between exchange and completion provided this does not exceed 90 days.

Is there an interest charge for paying in instalments by Direct Debit?

If you're using our monthly payment facility there is currently no interest charge for paying in instalments by direct debit.

What would I input dorms bungalows, link-detached, quasi and coach houses as?

  • Dorma Bungalow- Bungalow
  • Link- Detached- Detached house
  • Quasi- Semi detached property
  • Coach House- rate as maisonette

Why do you ask so many security questions every time I call the customer services or claims team?

We take customers' privacy very seriously and has obligations under the Data Protection Act to protect personal data. Personal information such as date of birth, bank account details along with the customers name and address are now as valuable as money. 

Criminals use a mixture of tactics to acquire the information needed to steal another's identity in order to commit fraud and therefore we do need to ask enough questions of any caller to ensure that we know who we are speaking to and only give information to customers and their appointed agent.