How to insulate your Home - Roof and Lofts

Insulating your roof, loft or attic can be a simple and effective way to keep your home warm and reduce your energy bills.

insurance - home insurance - resources - images - Rooftops

Heat rises and in an un-insulated home, a third of heat can be lost through the roof. Insulating your roof, loft or attic can be a simple and effective way to keep your home warm and reduce your energy bills.

Installing loft insulation should be easy if there’s no damp areas or condensation. Insulation needs to be laid in two steps; the first layer should be laid between the joists and the second layer should be laid in right angles to cover the joists and increase the insulation to meet the correct depth. You can do this yourself or hire a professional if you prefer.

Using your loft for storage or living space


You’ll need to cover the insulation and joists with insulation boards and then overlay these with wooden boards. Pre-bonded insulation boards are available to save time and make the job easier. An alternative would be to raise the floor level so you can add the insulation underneath, whichever option you choose it’s important to ensure you don’t squash the insulation as this will decrease its effectiveness.

Living space

You can choose to use your loft as a living space, insulating the walls and ceilings and using high performance windows to help keep in warmth. You'll need to speak to a professional to find out about correct insulation as there are many, like cold roof and warm roof insulation, depending on your roof type and also ensuring that there's suitable ventilation for the space.

Damp loft or attic?

Your loft or attic can be cooler due to lack of heat from insulated rooms, which could create damp areas or worsen existing problems. If you decide to insulate your home yourself, speak to a professional first as they may be able to make suggestions on fixing the damp areas before the insulation process begins.

If you need to find an insulation installer, visit National Insulation Association or call the Home Energy Saving Advice Service on 0300 123 1234 (England or Wales), or Home Energy Scotland on 0808 808 2282.

You may also be interested in our Home Insurance. Your mortgage lender will usually insist that Buildings cover is in place and adding Contents cover will give added peace of mind when it comes to protecting your home and possessions inside.

We're not responsible for the content of any external websites.

Always be cautious when undertaking any task that you're not fully familiar with as you could injure yourself or those around you, seek professional help where required.


Simple Energy - Contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.