How to insulate your Home - Solid Walls

Insulating a solid wall will reduce your fuel bills considerably, as they tend to lose twice as much heat as a cavity wall.

Roughly a third of heat is lost through un-insulated walls, heat will always move from a warm area to a cold one and the colder it is outside the faster the heat in your home will escape into the surrounding air. Insulating a solid wall will reduce your fuel bills considerably, as they tend to lose twice as much heat as a cavity wall.

What type of walls do you have?

The majority of homes in the UK have one of two types of walls:

  • Solid walls are made up of one single solid wall usually made of brick or stone. If your home was built before 1919, you're likely to have solid walls – this means more energy is being used while your home tries to retain its heat.
  • Cavity walls consist of two walls with a gap in between, referred to as the cavity; in order to insulate a cavity wall, the cavity should be filled. The outside is made up of brick and the inside is made up of brick or concrete blocks. If your home was built after 1920, you're likely to have cavity walls. Find out more about cavity walls

Other types of walls

If your home is made up of steel or timber frames, or pre-fabricated concrete, you may be able to insulate your walls in the same way a solid wall would be insulated. To insulate a non-standard wall you may need a specialist company. For more information or to find an insulation installer contact the National Insulation Association.

To help find out what types of walls you have in your home, visit Energy Saving Trust’s Home Energy Check tool

How much could you save?

If you live in England, Scotland or Wales you could save the following on your fuel bills per year:

  • Detached house: £415
  • Semi-detached house:  £245
  • Mid terrace house: £155
  • Detached bungalow: £165
  • Flat: £115

Estimates based on insulating a gas-heated home. Costs may vary significantly depending on level of work required - 2018 figures.

Source (of saving): Energy Saving Trust

You may be able to get financial support for installing solid wall insulation.

Internal and external installation

To fit internal wall insulation, insulation boards are fitted to the walls or a stud wall can be built filled with insulation material. Internal wall insulation is generally cheaper to install than external wall insulation.

To fit external wall insulation, a layer of insulation material is fitted to the wall and is covered with render or cladding. It can be applied without disrupting the household and will not reduce the floor area of your home. It will renew the appearance of outer walls, improve weatherproofing, sound resistance and will increase the life of your walls by protecting the brickwork, helping to prevent damp.

It's a good idea to ask your installer if the installation is covered by the SWIGA guarantee, which gives 25 years cover for defective materials, design or workmanship or by other appropriate guarantees such as Kinnell ECO Guarantee (which covers most of natural building technologies). It’s also important to check if the products/materials are BBA(British Board of Agrément )certified.

You may also be interested in our Home Insurance. Your lender will usually insist that buildings cover is in place and adding contents cover will give added peace of mind when it comes to protecting your home and possessions inside.

Legal & General are not responsible for the content of any external websites.

Always be cautious when undertaking any task that you're not fully familiar with as you could injure yourself or those around you, seek professional help where required.

Home Insurance Provider of the Year

Moneyfacts Consumer Awards 2017 & 2018