Burst and Frozen Pipes
When wintery weather like snow and ice strikes, it can cause considerable damage to your home. Check out our helpful hints to help keep your home safe.
Helpful hints to help keep your home safeWhen wintery weather like snow and ice strikes, it can cause considerable damage to your home. The damage caused by Escape of water could cost £1000's to repair. Check out our helpful hints to help keep your home safe.
- Find out where your stop tap is, so you can switch the water off at the mains.
- Check the insulation and lagging on your water pipes and tanks, taking extra care in your loft and with outside pipes.
- Repair any dripping taps.
- Leave your loft hatch open on cold days to allow warm air to circulate your pipes.
- If you have a modern boiler with a frost protection thermostat check this is working properly.
- Keep your insurance details and help lines near your phone in case you need to make a claim.
If you're going away on holiday during the winter:
- Don't switch off your central heating - try to maintain a minimum temperature of 12 degrees.
- Consider leaving the loft hatch open to allow warm air to circulate your pipes.
- Ask someone to check your home on a regular basis.
What do I do if my pipes freeze or burst?
- Turn off the water at the main stop tap.
- Switch off the central heating and immersion heater.
- Open the tap nearest to the part of the frozen pipe so water can flow through freely.
- Contact your insurer as soon as possible, if there is damage caused by the burst or frozen pipe.
- Move any valuables away from damage.
Always be cautious when undertaking any task that you're not fully familiar with as you could injure yourself or those around you, seek professional help where required.