We believe that everyone should have peace of mind that their home is protected against unforeseen events such as escape of water, fire, flood, storm damage, theft and subsidence.  All of these can cause extensive damage and be very costly to fix.

Our Home Buildings Insurance is Defaqto rated. Defaqto are a leading UK independent financial information business, specialising in rating, comparing and analysing financial products. 

What is Buildings Insurance?

Buildings Insurance covers the costs of repairing or rebuilding the structure of your home should it be damaged or destroyed. It includes your outbuildings, fixtures and fittings, patios and sheds. It's intended to provide cover from things like fire, storm and floods as well as everyday hazards like escape of water. 

With our Buildings Insurance your building, outbuildings, permanent fixtures, fittings, patios and sheds will all be covered.We’ll even provide cover for alternative accommodation, should the worst happen.

Who needs Buildings Insurance?

If you’re buying a property you’ll usually need Buildings Insurance, as it will normally be a condition of the mortgage.

If you already own a property, you need to protect your building. Imagine how you’d afford to rebuild your home if the worst should happen and it were damaged or destroyed. With Legal & General Buildings Insurance, you can get the protection you need.

We understand that your personal belongings can have great value to you and your family, that's why we also offer Contents Insurance - helping you to protect your possessions.

What does Buildings Insurance cover?

Buildings insurance is there to protect your home from loss or damage from many different causes. Your policy should cover you for the amount it would take to rebuild your home should it be damaged or destroyed.

That’s why both our Gold and Silver policies offer up to £1.5 million of cover for your building. 

Choose the right policy:

Cover LevelGold PolicySilver Policy
Buildings sum insured ? Up to £1.5 Million Up to £1.5 Million
Home emergency cover ? Included Included
Family Legal Protection Included Optional
Accidental damage


Alternative Accommodation

 Up to £100,000

Up to £50,000

Find out more information about our cover and limits.

Enhancing your cover

We understand that everyone’s needs are different. Both our Gold and Silver policies let you enhance your cover with useful add-ons for an additional premium.

Our Gold policy includes Accidental Damage, Home Emergency and Family Legal Protection as standard. 

You can add Accidental Damage and Family Legal Protection to our Silver policy. For more details please take a look at Additional Cover Options.

What isn't covered by our Buildings Insurance?

  • Your chosen Excess will apply on each claim (minimum £100).
  • For Escape of Water claims an excess of £500 will apply.
  • In the event of subsidence, heave or landslip, there’s an excess of £500.
  • Storm or flood damage to fences, gates and hedges.
  • Maintenance, wear and tear or damage that happens gradually over a period of time, such as damp or rot.
  • If your home has been unoccupied for more than 60 consecutive days, we won't cover loss or damage caused by malicious acts, vandalism, theft, water or oil leaks, breakage of glass or sanitary ware or frost damage. 
  • The costs of replacing any undamaged or unbroken item or parts of items forming part of a set, suite or other article of uniform nature, colour or design if damage occurs within a clearly identifiable area or to a specific part and it is not possible to match replacements.

These are only examples of the cover, limits and exclusions that apply. Every insurance policy including ours, will have limitations and exclusions so it's vital that you check what's included before you purchase.  For more details of what is and isn't covered, please read the Insurance Product Information Document and policy booklets, which can be found in the Key Documents:

Silver Insurance Product Information  PDF: 113KB  

Gold Insurance Product Information  PDF: 113KB  

Gold and Silver Policy Booklet  PDF: 534KB  

About Us, Our Terms and Services  PDF: 51KB