Contents Insurance Guide

insurance - home - resources - images - content insurance - IMG SIMPLE

What does Contents Insurance cover?

Home Contents Insurance can give you peace of mind - knowing that your possessions are covered against damage or theft. But how much cover do you need?

Contents Insurance covers your personal belongings against loss or damage, including everything you’d take with you if you moved home - furniture, kitchen appliances, curtains, bedding, clothing, television, computer equipment and jewellery.

Your Contents sum insured should be enough to cover the replacement cost as new, of all your contents and personal belongings, including items kept in storage areas or domestic outbuildings within the boundaries of your land.

You should remember that it’s your responsibility to ensure that you have sufficient cover. There’s a chance that you may not recover the full amount of any claim you make, if you don’t have the right level of cover.

Moving house

If you're buying your first home or moving into a bigger house, think about what possessions you have now and what you'll buy before or soon after you move in.

Renewing your insurance

It helps if you can start to think about how much cover you'll need a few weeks before your actual renewal date. Think about whether there's any high risk or large value items which you need to include.

It’s a good idea to do an inventory of your house, so that you know the value of all your items. You can also list the purchase price of the item, when you bought it and in the case of electrical items, what make and model.

Having an inventory like this could make it much easier for you to calculate how much insurance you need and will also be helpful in the event of a claim, whether for damage or theft.

Keep your inventory in a safe place and remember to keep the receipts for goods you've bought in the same place. That way, you’ll have a proper record and you’ll know everything's in order.

Don't forget

  • Items on order for your new home which will be delivered after you've moved in
  • Any high-risk or valuable items which need to be listed separately
  • Items in cupboards, storage areas or lofts
  • Garden sheds and garage contents

Home Insurance is an important way of protecting what’s important to you. What’s more, it gives you peace of mind knowing that should the worst happen, you'd be covered financially for loss or damage.

If you don't already have insurance in place, why not take a look at our Home Insurance products today.