Gold and Silver FAQs

If you purchased your Home Insurance policy from 14th Aug 2017 to 11 August 2018, please read these frequently asked questions for help with your Gold and Silver policy.

For more details of what is and isn’t covered, please read the Insurance Product Information Documents and Policy Booklet, these can be found in the Key Documents section. Limitations and exclusions apply.

What is covered under Buildings Insurance?

Our Buildings Insurance covers loss or damage to the structure of your home, for example, to walls, permanent fixtures and fittings, gates and fences, drives and patios. Domestic outbuildings such as sheds, garages and greenhouses are also covered (Garages and outbuildings used for business purposes other than clerical, will not be covered). If you own your own home then you should have buildings insurance. If you are renting your home or have a lease, normally the landlord or the freeholder would be responsible for insuring the property.

What is covered under Contents Insurance?

Our Contents Insurance covers your personal belongings against loss or damage and includes everything you’d take with you if you moved home – including for example, furniture, kitchen appliances, curtains, bedding, clothing, television, computer equipment and jewellery.

What's an excess?

The excess is the amount you must pay towards each and every claim.

The excesses are shown on your policy schedule and/or by endorsement. Information relating to the minimum excess, escape of water excess and subsidence, heave and landslip excess can be found in your policy documents.

Where more than one section of cover operates in respect of an incident of loss or damage only one excess will apply.

We want you to understand how much you'll have to pay in the event of a claim, so if you need any help or guidance, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

What is Accidental Damage cover?

Accidental Damage cover is included with our Gold policy as standard and covers you for those little mishaps like putting your foot through a ceiling (Buildings) or spilling wine or paint on your carpet (Contents) – you can also add Accidental Damage cover to our Silver policy for an additional premium - view our additional cover options for more information.

Both our Silver and Gold Home Insurance policies provide Accidental Damage cover under Buildings to underground pipes and cables serving your home.

What does Family Legal Protection cover?

If optional Family Legal Protection is included with your policy, you'll be covered for the costs of pursuing certain legal proceedings such as:

  • Death of or personal injury to you or your immediate family.
  • Buying or hiring goods or services for your own personal use.
  • Any infringement of your legal rights from owning or occupying your home.
  • A breach of your employment contract.

You’ll also be covered for the costs of defending legal proceedings such as:

  • A motoring prosecution brought against you.
  • The sale of privately owned goods by you.
  • We’ll also pay your costs in connection with a formal enquiry by HM Revenue & Customs into your private tax affairs.

For details of what's not covered, including the limitations and exclusions that apply, please refer to the policy booklet. Your policy schedule will show if you've added Family Legal Protection to your policy.

What's covered by Home Emergency Cover?

If you need Home Emergency Cover, then it's included as standard with our Gold Home Insurance - we'll cover you for up to £1,000 (inc VAT) against call out charges, labour and parts or materials for immediate repairs to stabilise and remove the emergency.

Tenants are not eligible for Home Emergency Cover on either the Gold or Silver policy.

We'll send a repairer to assess the situation and carry out emergency work arising from emergencies such as:

  • Burst pipes or sudden leakage.
  • Break in or vandalism, compromising the security of your home.
  • Storm damage causing water to enter your home or likely to cause further loss or damage to your home or its contents.
  • Impact damage by falling trees, or by a vehicle or a plane or aerial debris.
  • Failure of your domestic water mains supply leaving you with no running water.
  • Failure of your gas supply pipe leaving you unable to use your gas appliances.
  • Failure of your domestic electricity system leaving your home without electricity.
  • Blocked drains.
  • Failure of your domestic hot water system.
  • Total failure of your central heating system between the months of September and April.
  • A smashed toilet bowl or cistern, or breakage of the cistern internal mechanism that prevents flushing.
  • Emergency repairs if subsidence or heave or landslip causes sudden damage allowing water to enter or compromise the security of your home by breaking external windows, doors or their frames.

Home Emergency is provided through AXA Assistance (UK) Limited.

Limitations and exclusions apply, for example we don’t cover boilers and warm air units over 8 years old. For details of the cover and what's not included, please refer to the Policy Booklet.

How do I amend personal details on my policy?

If you need to amend any of your personal details such as your name, please contact us.

If you've changed your name we'll ask for original documentary evidence to be sent in, this could be in the form of a marriage certificate, current valid passport or deed poll certificate.

I'm moving home/house, what do I need to do about my cover and storage?

If you have your new property details, we can offer you a change of address quotation providing your new home meets our criteria.

If you need cover for two addresses, we can look at covering both properties and also cover your contents whilst moving, providing we currently insure the address you're moving from.

I want to add/remove a section of cover, how do I do this?

If you'd like to add or remove an additional cover option, for example Accidental Damage or Bicycle cover, you can do this by contacting us.

How do I send you Power of Attorney documents?

Please could you send a certified copy of the original Power of Attorney document with your policy number and contact details should we need to contact you. We'll send these back to you by recorded delivery.

Our postal address is:

Legal & General
PO Box 6984
B5 4BR

My mortgage lender has asked to be noted on my policy/I need proof of Buildings Insurance?

We no longer list mortgage lenders as an interested party or as a joint policyholder on our Home Insurance policies.

Your policy documentation is proof of your Buildings Insurance cover.

Where do I send in my valuation for my valuable items?

We'll advise if you need to send in a valuation or proof of ownership and how you should send these to us.

We normally require these if your valuable item is over £10,000 or if you make a claim.

What information needs to be included on my valuation?

We'll confirm what information is needed for your item, we'd normally expect to see:

  • The name and address of the owner
  • The name and address of the valuer
  • A full description of the article
  • The value of the item in Sterling
  • The date of the valuation
  • If an Institute Registered Valuer has completed it then it should also contain the assessor’s IRV registration number