If you're a renter you might not think you need home Contents Insurance - but it's worth thinking about protecting your personal belongings whilst you're a tenant.

Landlords are usually responsible for insuring the Buildings, fixtures, fittings and any furniture they leave in the property - not your contents or belongings.

Our cover protects you against loss or damage from causes such as fire, storm, flood and theft and you can select from two levels of cover, Extra or Essentials, depending on your needs.

We offer a range of optional extras that you can add to your policy for an additional premium, so that you can feel confident that your policy meets your needs. For example, you can protect personal possessions away from the home or benefit from our Family Legal Protection cover.

To provide cover your home must be self-contained and occupied by just you and your family.

Why choose us?

We've been insuring homes for over 90 years and if you ever need to make a claim with us, you'll have a dedicated, single point of contact to support you from beginning to end.

We've also been highly rated by our customers, but don't just take our word for it, read some of their reviews.

Overview of Contents cover

Sum insured ? This will be estimated based on details you provide, but can be changed
Minimum excess ? £100 £100
Your Liability as a Tenant ? £5,000 or 10% of your contents sum insured
High risk items ? Up to 20% of your contents sum insured Up to 33% of your contents sum insured 
High risk single items ? Up to £2,500 Up to £2,500
Contents in garden ? X ✓ Up to £1,000
Personal money ? ✓ Up to £100 ✓ Up to £500
Theft from outbuildings ? ✓ Up to £1,000 ✓ Up to £3,000
Accidental damage to computers, TV's and stereos ?

Additional cover option

Extended accidental damage for contents ? Additional cover option

What isn't covered by our Contents insurance

  • A minimum excess of £100 will apply on each claim or for escape of water claims a minimum excess of £250 will apply.
  • Damage for which you're not legally responsible.
  • Money stolen from your home unless it was entered by force and violence.
  • Pedal cycles stolen from home, unless it was entered by force and violence (covered by Extra policies only).
  • Accidental damage to portable items like video cameras and hand held computer games, unless you've taken out optional contents extended accidental damage or personal possessions cover.
  • If your home has been unoccupied for more than 60 consecutive days for Extra or 30 consecutive days for Essentials, we won't cover loss or damage caused by malicious acts, vandalism, theft, water or oil leaks, breakage of glass, sanitaryware or frost damage.
  • The cost of replacing any undamaged or unbroken item or parts of items forming part of a set, suite or other article of uniform nature, colour or design if damage occurs within a clearly identifiable area or to a specific part and it is not possible to match replacements.

These are only examples of the cover, limits and exclusions that apply. For more details of what is and isn't covered, please read the policy summaries and booklets, which can be found in the Key Documents section.