Transfer a Junior ISA or Child Trust Fund to us
Transferring a Junior ISA
If your child already has either a cash Junior ISA or stocks and shares Junior ISA with another provider, you can transfer it to us at any time. The minimum amount you can transfer to us is £500. Your existing provider may charge a fee for the transfer.
Transferring a Child Trust Fund (CTF)
There are a few differences between the two products that you should be aware of before you make the transfer:
- The subscription year for Junior ISAs runs from 6 April to 5 April (the tax year), not from the child’s birthday. Any transfer from a CTF to a Junior ISA doesn’t affect the child’s Junior ISA allowance for the current tax year.
- The minimum contribution levels in a Junior ISA may be different from those in the CTF.
- Stakeholder CTFs have a 1.5% charges cap which doesn’t apply to Junior ISAs. Charges vary between individual funds. You should also make sure you are happy with any charges that may apply, if you choose to transfer.
- Some Stakeholder CTFs have an automatic lifestyling feature which now starts from when the child reaches the age of 15. This gradually moves the CTF into lower risk investments.
- In a Junior ISA the investment remains in the fund(s) you invest in, but you are free to switch between the available funds at any time, meaning you can decide what level of risk to take at all times.
- You can only transfer your CTF to a Junior ISA in full, it is not possible to split the amount between a CTF and a Junior ISA.
- Once you have transferred a CTF to a Junior ISA, it permanently becomes a Junior ISA and can't be switched back to a CTF.
- Please remember the value of your child’s investment may fall as well as rise and is not guaranteed. This means it may be worth less than the amount invested.
- The money invested in a stocks and shares Junior ISA is locked away until your child becomes 18 and then rolls up into an adult ISA. You should consider it to be a medium to long-term investment, ideally of five years or more.
- The ‘Responds to the markets’ option invests overseas. Changes in exchange rates between currencies may cause the value of the investment to rise and fall.
- Each trust has its own individual risks. To find out more about these, please read the Key Investor Information document(s) for the funds you wish to invest in.
Please note, our website doesn't provide advice or personal recommendations. We haven't assessed whether this product is suitable for you or your child. This means you don't have the protection you would have received if we had done this. It's up to you to decide if an investment with us is suitable for your needs. If you need help, please contact an Independent Financial Adviser.