Without life insurance, Kate and her children may not have been able to stay in the family home that they loved so much, after the sudden death of her husband.
Kate and her husband, Ian, decided to take out Legal & General life insurance to help protect them financially. Here Kate tells us how life insurance helped her and her children while trying to deal with the tragic loss of her husband.
Hear Kate's full story below.
Family are the most important people in our lives. We'd do anything to help them - making sure they're looked after and have everything they need to feel happy, safe and secure.
So while it's not a pleasant thought, it makes sense to think about how your family would cope financially if you were no longer around.
What is life cover?
Life cover helps you to financially protect your family's future should the worst happen.
It could pay out a cash sum if you die while covered by the policy. You choose the amount of life cover you need and how long you need it for and you can pay your premiums monthly or annually. Your family could receive a cash sum to help with everyday living expenses such as household bills, child-care costs or mortgage payments.
There are two options to choose from
- Life Insurance - it could pay out a cash sum if you die during the length of your policy. The amount of cover you choose will remain the same, unless you make any changes to your policy.
- Decreasing Life Insurance - designed to help protect a repayment mortgage so the amount of cover reduces roughly in line with the way a repayment mortgage decreases.
Use our life insurance calculator to help you decide how much cover you may need.
You can also choose to add critical illness cover at an extra cost when taking out your policy. It could pay out a cash sum if you are diagnosed with one of the specified critical illnesses we cover during the length of your policy, such as heart attack, cancer or stroke*. The money you could receive can help make life easier - and help you focus on getting better.
*Some types of cancer are not included and to make a claim for some illnesses, you need to have permanent symptoms.
- This is not a savings or investment product and has no cash value unless a valid claim is made.
- For Life Insurance, your policy may not completely pay off your outstanding mortgage unless you ensure that your amount of cover is adjusted to match any new mortgage arrangements.
- For Decreasing Life Insurance you must also check that the interest rate applied to your mortgage does not become higher than the interest rate applied to your policy.
- Read the Policy Summary PDF, Policy Booklet PDF and more important information before you apply.
The nations best advice
We've been asking the nation to share with us the best advice they've received from their parents. Watch our video to find out more on what they had to share.