Over 50s dating
Dating in your 50s can be just as exciting as earlier in life, and these days, more people are living longer and living life to the full. Divorce and bereavement are just some of the reasons why over 50s dating remains popular, and in this article, we’ll explore how you can find romance in your golden years.
Dating after bereavement
Losing a partner is always going to be devastating, and people react in different ways. For some, the idea of dating again is too difficult to contemplate, while others will seek companionship with a new flame. Grief can take weeks, months or years to fully digest, so if you do decide to try dating again, it’s a good idea to wait until you’re ready, and to do it for the right reasons.
Of course, when you do start going on dates, it’s perfectly understandable if you have feelings of guilt. It’s only human to feel this way, but as hard as it might be, it’s important to live each day in the present and to be respectful of the person you’re going on a date with. No one wants to feel like a counsellor when they’re on a date, so if you need to take more time before seeing someone new, that’s completely fine.
There is no silver bullet for how to find love in your 50s, and you should think honestly about what you’d like in a new partner; for example, you should consider what age difference you’d find acceptable, and whether you’d date another widow or widower, or someone dating after divorce.
Why dating after 50 could be the making of you
The idea of starting all over again can seem daunting, but if you’re bold, optimistic and open to new experiences, dating in your 50s is much less scary than it may seem. You never know when you might fall in love, and if you’re honest with friends, family and colleagues, the doors may open to exciting new opportunities.
How do you date in your 50s - Tips on getting started
If you’ve been away from the dating scene for some time, it’s understandable if you need a refresher on how to look for love. Whatever your reason for seeking a new partner, here’s how you can get started:
- Online dating – these days, there are dedicated online over 50s dating sites which offer an easy way to meet people. If online dating sounds scary at first, don’t worry. There are countless older men and women looking for genuine companionship on these platforms. You can either sign-up to a free online dating site, or go for a subscription service which can offer enhanced features and exclusive age groups. There are also sites dedicated to different lifestyles – such as art lovers, those who like the great outdoors, and London bachelors.
- New hobbies – taking up a new pastime can be a great way to stay fit, enhance your wellbeing and meet likeminded people. Pull on your walking boots and join an organised ramble, which offers a chance to explore beauty spots and socialise with your travelling companions. Other activities such as supper clubs, reading groups and gardening in the community are great ways to meet people in a fun and relaxed setting.
- Refresh your wardrobe – with a new set of clothes, you’ll not only look smart but may also feel the therapeutic benefits of ‘retail therapy’ and boost your self-confidence. Over 50s dating offers the perfect excuse to upgrade your wardrobe and treat yourself.
- Travel – a solo holiday, without the financial commitments from earlier in life, offers you the chance to strike conversation and have an adventure. Whether you’re sitting at a bar in a European capital or taking a cruise in the Caribbean, there are ample opportunities to meet a kindred spirit on your travels.
- Don’t rush – there are plenty of fish in the sea, and there is no harm in taking your time. Everyone’s circumstances are different, and of course, dating after bereavement is not something you’ll take lightly. But if you feel able to begin dating again, there is no reason why you can’t find love in your 50s.