Over 50s dating
Over 50s dating can be just as exciting as earlier in life, and these days, there are so many dating sites for over 50s it’s difficult to know where to start. In this article, we’ll explore how you can start dating again after 50 and find romance in your golden years.
Why dating after 50 could be the making of you
There is nothing awkward about over 50s dating. Life is a long journey, and whether you’re divorced, bereaved, or just waiting to find that special someone, dating for the over 50s is simply part and parcel of the modern dating scene.
Sure, the idea of starting all over again can seem daunting, but if you’re bold, optimistic and open to new experiences, dating in your 50s is much less scary than it may seem. You never know when you might fall in love, and if you’re honest with friends, family and colleagues, the doors may open to exciting new opportunities.
Dating after divorce
If you’re worried about dating after a divorce, don’t worry – you’re far from alone. According to the most recent ONS figures, in 2018 there were 90,871 divorces between married men and women. On average, these divorces followed 12.5 years of marriage1. Everyone’s situation is different, but rest assured that over 50s dating among divorcees is far from unusual. Talk to your friends and loved ones if you need any advice, and don’t feel rushed into committing to a new relationship.
Dating after bereavement
Losing a partner is always going to be devastating, so it’s only natural if you’re worried about dating too soon after bereavement. How long should you wait after bereavement before you start dating? Ultimately it’s a personal decision for you, and everyone reacts differently. For some, the idea of dating again is too difficult to contemplate, while others will seek companionship with a new flame. But if you do decide to try dating again, it’s a good idea to wait until you’re ready, and to do it for the right reasons. If you’re worried that people may feel insecure about dating a widower, you should remember that the right person will look beyond your past and may help you focus on the future.
Dating after a long break
If you’ve not been on the dating scene for a while, it’s perfectly understandable if you’re unsure how to get started. A lot has changed in the digital age, and fortunately, there are plenty of dating sites for the over 50s, and even virtual speed dating. Don’t be shy to try out new dating platforms and get back in the swing of things.
Top tips for over 50s dating
Need a refresher on how to look for love? Whatever your reason for seeking a new partner, here are some pointers on dating in your 50s:
- Get online – If online dating sounds scary at first, don’t worry. These days, many dating platforms are used by younger and older people, or if you prefer, there are dedicated over 50s dating which offer an easy way to meet people. There are countless older men and women looking for genuine companionship on these platforms. You can either sign up to a free online dating site, or go for a subscription service which can offer enhanced features and exclusive age groups. There are also sites dedicated to different lifestyles, such as art lovers, those who like the great outdoors, and London bachelors.
- Try a new hobby – Taking up a new pastime can be a great way to stay fit, enhance your wellbeing and meet likeminded people. Pull on your walking boots and join an organised ramble, giving you a chance to explore beauty spots and socialise with your travelling companions. Other activities such as supper clubs are great ways to meet people in a fun and relaxed setting.
- Refresh your wardrobe – With a new set of clothes, you’ll not only look smart but may also feel the therapeutic benefits of ‘retail therapy’ and boost your self-confidence. Over 50s dating offers the perfect excuse to upgrade your wardrobe and treat yourself.
- Go explore – A solo holiday, without the financial commitments from earlier in life, offers you the chance to strike conversation and have an adventure. Whether it’s a staycation or a trip overseas, there are ample opportunities to meet a kindred spirit on your travels.
- Take your time – There are plenty of fish in the sea, and there is no harm in taking your time. Everyone’s circumstances are different, and of course, dating too soon after bereavement is an understandable worry. But there are many people who would have no qualms about dating a widower, and if you feel able to begin dating again, there is no reason why you can’t find love in your 50s.