Travel containers for your pet

Traveling with your pet

When traveling with your pet, ensure they’re flying in the right size crate or kennel as this will reduce stress and increase comfort throughout the journey. If a container is too small a pet can feel cramped and if it’s too big they can feel insecure and frightened.

  • Crates must be well ventilated, large enough for your pet to stand up in it without touching the crate roof and enough space for them to turn around.
  • Ensure there are absorption blankets or materials within the container to soak up any accidents and to keep your pet warm and comfortable.
  • Crates or kennels can be made up of rigid materials such as wood, plywood, plastic, fibreglass or metal as long as they're secure enough to hold your pet.
  • Wheels must be removed or if retractable they’ll need to be blocked with duct tape.
  • Crate or kennel doors must have centralised locking systems which lock on both the top and bottom of the door.
  • The top and the bottom of the crate or kennel must be bolted to ensure security and safety.
  • Pets must remain in their crate during the duration of the flight.

Travelling with Guide or Assistance Dogs

  • If you require a Guide or Assistance Dog to provide assistance, if you’re disabled, visually impaired or hearing impaired, then your dog will be permitted to travel in the cabin but conditions may apply (search your travel provider's website for more information).
  • In order to travel in the cabin you'll need to secure them with a car harness for safety while the seat belt sign is on during your flight.
  • Please ensure that your pet is registered and has the correct travel documentation approved and accredited by a recognised organisation.

Travelling with Emotional Support Animals

  • In order to fly with an Emotional Support Animal you'll need to provide valid documentation dated within one year of your scheduled departure date.
  • A letter from a licensed mental health professional will be required detailing your mental or emotional disability. This letter should detail the following:
    • You have a mental health related disability.
    • You need emotional or psychiatric support from this animal during your travelling period and at your destination.
    • The individual providing the medical assessment is a licensed mental health professional and you’re registered under their professional care.
    • The date and type of license qualification held by the mental health professional that you're registered under and the country, and county it was issued in.
  •  If you’re traveling with an Emotional Support Animal you’ll need to check-in one hour before the recommended check-in time to ensure there’s enough time for all documentation to be verified.
  • If the above steps have not been met, your Support Animal will no longer be able to travel in the cabin.

Please be aware that some pets may be restricted from travel so please ensure you check your travel provider’s website for full details.

Please also make sure you confirm the travel arrangements for your pet, Guide or Assistance Dog or Emotional Support Animal at least 48 hours before travelling.

We love our pets and they’re an important part of our family, they're reassuring and a constant presence in our lives. Pet Insurance provides peace of mind and can help to cover the cost of unexpected vet fees when your pet needs treatment due to an accident or illness. 

Can we cover your pet?

Choose from 6 levels of cover

Our Lifetime Pet Insurance has been independently rated 5 Stars by Defaqto.

Our 12 Month Pet Insurance has been independently rated 3 Stars by Defaqto.

Moneyfacts pet

Commended by MoneyFacts' Pet Insurance Provider of the Year Awards 2018.