Skip to main content

Boost your savings

Finding extra money to put into your pension pot can be difficult. Even if it's only a little bit more, increasing your contributions can boost your savings and help you to afford the lifestyle you want in retirement.

We've created a useful tool to help show you where your money goes and where you could look to make small changes to free up a bit of extra cash. Even what seems like a small amount now can make a big difference over time.

Putting a bit more into your pension pot is a good way to save for later in life but we know that's not always as easy as it sounds.

Spending a few pounds day to day can soon add up.

Why not have a look at your spending habits and see where you could make a few savings?

Where does your money go?

Where does your money go?

How much can I save?

Where does your money go?

And how much do you spend?

Add to my list

a year


If you saved this every year, over time, it could make a real difference to how much you have in your retirement savings.

You may not be able to give up all of these things, but could you reduce how much you spend on them a bit? Every little bit helps.

If you want to increase your pension contributions, contact your employer.

Once you know what you can afford to save, the next thing you should think about is how much you might need in retirement. Have a look at 'How much will you need?' to work out the level of income you might need in retirement.

If you do decide that you would like to boost your pension savings, you can:

  • Contact your employer if you wish to increase your regular contributions.
  • Contact us directly if you want to make a one-off payment.
  • Transfer in your other pension savings so that you have everything in one place. Have a look at our 'Getting your pensions into one place’ page for more information.

There is something called an annual allowance, which is the maximum amount that can be paid into a pension every year without incurring a tax charge (this excludes any other pension savings you may have transferred in). See our Tax year rates and allowances guide for more information on this.

Your browser does not have JavaScript enabled and therefore may not display all features of this and other websites.