- Our death claims paid in 2012 increased to £274 million from £264 million in 2011.
- We paid 93.1% of critical illness cover (CIC) claims in 2012 - £209 million.
- We paid 91% of income protection benefit (IPB) claims in 2012.
- We've paid over £1.2 billion in CIC claims since 2003.
CIC claims summary:
- Total number of claims paid - 3,080
- Average payout - £67,535
- Average age of claimants - 48 years old
The top five reasons for CIC claims are the same as last year:
- Terminal Illness
- Heart Attack
- Multiple Sclerosis
6.9% of CIC claims rejected:
- Number rejected for non-disclosure – 76 (2.3%)
- Claims not meeting definition – 152 (4.6%)
IPB claims summary:
- 49% of claims paid last year received more than £500 of benefit per month
- Average age of claimants - 42 years old
The top three reasons for IPB claims in 2011 were:
- Mental illness
9% of IPB claims rejected:
- Proportion rejected for non-disclosure – 3%
- Claims not meeting definition – 4%
- Financial reasons – 2%
Source: Legal & General Claims Department 2013, based on critical illness and death claims finalised in 2012.