Homecover FAQs

Here are some of the questions we are frequently asked about our Everyday Home Cover and Home Cover Extra products.

Find out further information about accessing your policy documents through My Account.

What does our Home Insurance cover?

Home Insurance is designed to cover certain unforeseen events, such as loss or damage that arises as a result of incidents such as storm fire or theft. But it doesn’t cover everything. For example, it doesn't cover general wear and tear or damage that happens gradually over a period of time. For more details of what is and isn't covered, please check your Insurance Product Information Document and Policy Booklet.

When you apply for our Home Cover you can also personalise your policy with additional cover options, such as:

  • Accidental Damage(included as standard in our Home Cover Extra policy and can be added to our Everyday Home Cover policy)
  • Cover Away from the Home
  • Valuable items cover
  • Bicycle cover
  • Home Emergency Cover(included as standard in our Home Cover Extra policy and can be added to our Everyday Home Cover policy). This cover is not suitable for tenants.
  • Family Legal Protection cover

What is covered under Buildings Insurance?

Our Buildings Insurance covers loss or damage to the structure of your home and domestic outbuildings (such as sheds, garages and greenhouses). This includes walls, permanent fixtures and fittings, gates and fences, drives and patios. If you own your own home then you’d usually be expected to insure the buildings. If you are renting your home or have a lease, normally the landlord or the freeholder would be responsible for insuring the property.

What is covered under Contents Insurance?

Our Contents Insurance covers the contents of your property and your personal belongings against loss or damage while in the home. It includes everything you'd normally take with you if you moved home, including for example, furniture, kitchen appliances, curtains, bedding, clothing, television, computer equipment and jewellery.

What's an excess?

The excess is the amount you must pay towards each and every claim.

You can see what your excesses are by looking at your policy schedule and/or endorsements. You can find information about the minimum excess for escape of water, subsidence, heave and landslip by looking at your policy schedule and/or endorsement.

Where more than one section of cover operates in respect of an incident of loss or damage only one excess will apply. If there are differing levels of excess, the highest excess will apply.

We want you to understand how much you'll have to pay in the event of a claim, so if you need any help or guidance, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

How much cover do I need?

The Buildings sum insured should be enough to cover the rebuilding cost of your home. It doesn't bear any relation to the market value of your home. We provide cover under both our Home Cover Extra and Everyday Home Cover policies for rebuilding costs up to £1 Million.

The Contents sum insured should be enough to cover the replacement cost as new, of all your contents and personal belongings. You can select either £60,000 or £80,000 depending on your needs.

You should remember that it’s your responsibility to ensure that you have sufficient cover. If it's not enough, there’s a chance you might not recover the full amount of a claim you make or your policy may be invalid.

What is Find and Access?

Find and Access of water or oil leaks relates to the cover needed for the costs involved in finding the source of an escape of water or leakage of oil. This includes replacement or repair of any walls, floors or ceilings (including fixtures and fittings attached to them) inside the home where this occurs in the course of these investigations.

This cover is included in our Home Cover Extra policy up to £5,000 with Buildings cover, but isn’t available with our Everyday Home Cover policy.

Can I take out a policy in joint names?

Yes you can. Our online application will ask you if you’d like your policy to be in joint names.

What is Accidental Damage cover?

Accidental Damage covers you for those little mishaps like putting your foot through a ceiling (Buildings) or spilling wine or paint on your carpet (Contents). It is included with our Home Cover Extra policy as standard and you can add Accidental Damage cover to our Everyday Home Cover policy for an additional premium - view our additional cover options for more information.

Both our Everyday Home Cover and Home Cover Extra policies provide Accidental Damage cover under Buildings to underground pipes and cables serving your home.

What does Family Legal Protection cover?

For an additional premium you can add Family Legal Protection cover to your policy, where you’ll be covered for the costs of pursuing certain legal proceedings such as:

  • Death of or personal injury to you or your immediate family.
  • Buying or hiring goods or services for your own personal use.
  • Any infringement of your legal rights from owning or occupying your home.

A breach of your employment contract.You’ll also be covered for the costs of defending legal proceedings such as:

  • A motoring prosecution brought against you.
  • The sale of privately owned goods by you.
  • We’ll also pay your costs in connection with a formal enquiry by HM Revenue & Customs into your private tax affairs.

For details of what's not covered, please refer to the policy booklet

What's covered by Home Emergency?

Home Emergency covers you for up to £1000 (inc VAT) against call out charges, labour and materials for immediate repairs to stabilise and remove the emergency. This is included as standard with our Home Cover Extra policy and you can add this cover to our Everyday Home Cover policy for an additional premium. Tenants are not eligible for Home Emergency Cover on either policy. If you’re a tenant, you shouldn’t add this cover.

We'll send a repairer to assess the situation and carry out emergency work arising from:

  • Burst pipes or sudden leakage.
  • Break in or vandalism, compromising the security of your home.
  • Storm damage causing water to enter your home or likely to cause further loss or damage to your home or its contents.
  • Impact damage by falling trees, or by a vehicle or a plane or aerial debris.
  • Failure of your domestic water mains supply leaving you with no running water.
  • Failure of your gas supply pipe leaving you unable to use your gas appliances.
  • Failure of your domestic electricity system leaving your home without electricity.
  • Blocked drains.
  • Failure of your domestic hot water system.
  • Total failure of your central heating system between the months of September and April.
  • A smashed toilet bowl or cistern, or breakage of the cistern internal mechanism that prevents flushing.
  • Emergency repairs if subsidence or heave or landslip causes sudden damage allowing water to enter or compromise the security of your home by breaking external windows, doors or their frames.

Home Emergency is provided through AXA Assistance (UK) Limited.

Limitations and exclusions apply, for example we don’t cover boilers or warm air units over 8 years old and routine day-to-day home maintenance. For details of the cover and what's not included, please refer to the policy booklet

Do you cover wear and tear?

No. As with most home insurance policies, we don’t cover loss or damage to your home or contents due to maintenance, wear and tear, or damage that happens gradually over time.

What's a High Risk item?

We consider High Risk items to be articles of:

  • Jewellery, pearls, gemstones, gold, silver and other precious metal.
  • Works of art.
  • Stamp and coin collections.
  • Clocks and watches.

For details of the overall High Risk item limits that apply to your cover, please refer to your policy schedule. Further information about High Risk items and cover limits can also be found in the Insurance Product Information Document and Booklet.

What is Flood Re?

We are working with the Government and participate in the not-for-profit flood reinsurance scheme, known as Flood Re, to help support households at highest risk of flooding and develop a different way of dealing with flood insurance.


Are my children's contents covered while studying away from home?

If you choose  our Home Cover Extra policy, we'll cover your child's contents for certain events whilst away from home at University up to £5,000, provided the intention is to return the items to the family home. Limitations and exclusions apply, please refer to your policy documents.

This cover is not available with our Everyday Home Cover policy.

Are my car keys covered by my Home Insurance policy?

No. Car keys are excluded under loss or theft of keys with our Home Insurance policies.

How do I insure my personal possessions away from the home?

Items that you normally wear or carry with you can be covered by adding Cover Away from the Home to your policy - you'll need to check that your items meet our criteria and provide us with the sum insured you need.

If you require insurance for single items that exceed £1,500 these will need to be specified under our Valuable Items cover.

Do you cover bicycles?

Our Home Cover Extra policy covers Bicycles as part of the Contents within the home, garage and domestic outbuildings - Limitations and exclusions apply.

Our Everyday Home Cover policy does not offer cover for bicycles within the home.

If you require cover for your bike in and away from your home, you can insure this as an additional cover option – Limitations and exclusions apply.

Is my mobile phone covered?

Your mobile phone may be covered under the contents section of the policy, but if this was to be lost or stolen outside of the home, you'd need to take out Cover Away from the Home. We wouldn't cover your mobile if it was lost in your home.

Do you cover Business use in the home?

No. We don’t cover Business use in the home, unless it’s purely paperwork, computer work or telephone calls.